Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hole in Chevy Intake Manifold

ill be your pickup man

Hole in Chevy Intake Manifold

Damn.

I drove my Tahoe down the road to get something to eat and the temp gauge went high very fast. It has never gone higher than 200. Smoke was everywhere and I lost all coolant. It was full when I checked it yesterday.

After investigating, I found a hole in the intake manifold just below where teh upper hose goes in. It is about the diameter of a pencil and when filling the radiator back up, coolant just kept coming out of that hole. So needless to say, I need a new intake manifold. ANy suggestions on aftermarket ones? I will proabbly just buy a new from GM. I have a feeling I am goign to spend a lot of money.

ANy ideas as to what would have caused this? Maybe a stuck t-stat?

Advice would be appreciated.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    if a new intake it expensive, might check just getting it welded back up. i know john vilas can weld aluminum, as can the guy who does all the head work at Vilas, Mark. that might be kinda canadian, but i'm pretty sure thats this club's motto.

What year is it? If its a 95 or earlier, Edelbrock makes a kickass aluminum intake for the Chevy TBI 350. If its a Vortec, fix the ***** those parts are expensive

ill be your pickup man
    It is a 98 model Tahoe w/ 108k. I thought about somehow patching it, but do not want to go ghetto with my daily transportation.

I'll get a pic tomorrow b/c I know it is hard to understand what I am talking about.

Out to fix the Bronco so I can get to work and school for the next couple of days
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Actually I just had a brainstorm. Just JB Weld the bastard. I've heard extremely good thing about the stuff being used to repair smashed tranny pans and other metal parts. Its made specifically to bond metal to metal. Just put some over the hole, or if its too big, glue a little metal patch over it. You wont even have to take it out of the vehicle for that. That's deffinately what I'd do.

ill be your pickup man
    That is alot of pressure that I do not think jb weld could hold
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

BigRedFord04
    isnt the avg cooling system only 13-16 psi? thats what most radiator caps are rated at. JB weld should be able to withstand at least that much with the right surface prep (i.e. giving it a good coarse surface to bond to). it'd be worth a shot to try a $3 fix while its down anyway and you're looking into replacing parts.

JB weld is probably not a good idea on a daily driven vehicle. It might hold, but then again it might come loose or leak going down the highway and then you're stuck. Best bet on something like this would be to fix it right and get that one off of ebay or get a new one. Is it leaking on the upper manifold or the lower. I think the upper is plastic and replacements are not that expensive.
    BDR

ill be your pickup man
    Lower intake manifold came from GM and I got it for $471. Found a leaking AC line and so I got an entire new assembly from GM for $70 Spend about $25 on all gaskets.

It is still a mess, and I have not pryed the old one off yet, but there is nothing else holding it on. Just need to take it off, transfer over teh uppermanifold and hope to God I can put everything back together.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I hope you didnt pay $71 for that line, I got that one for like $30 from napa
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

ill be your pickup man
    it is both the high and low side, it is one(or two) big pieces. I havent opened that box yet
    Last edited by JB; 09-21-2004 at 11:47 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89
    it is both the high and low side, it is one(or two) big pieces. I havent opened that box yet
    yeah i know it is one big piece that goes across the top of the engine and sits on top of the compressor
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Another thing that you might look in to is GM has coolant supplement pellets that are supposed to seal aluminum parts from the inside and keep the coolant from eating away at them. Might keep this from happening again.
    BDR

Violentv8toy
    jeez...that was a small hole to be 500.