Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
I wonder how serviceble it is? what happens when you get an exhaust leak...by the looks of the pic it would be several hours to just get to the problem. Cool ideas...almost seems like a design excersise that is being produced which many times may not be practical.

I still can't figure out why someone can not produce a 180-200 hp diesel for sport utes small trucks that will give you 25+ mpg.
Whats the point of having a 310 hp diesel that gets 18 mpg(inflated...I doubt it would get that in a burb) @$3.40 gal w/ a probably $4k+ (I would guess $5K maybe more) buy in premium when you can get a 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 that get 16, 12, 12 mpg @ $2.80 gal w/ around a $1000 buy in premium for the 8.1. I know some will say the 520 ft/lbs of torque..well the 8.1 has what, 480 ft/lbs? and will probaly cost $4k less.
operating cost:
fuel only
Gas $2.80 @ 12 mpg= $0.233/mile
Diesel $3.40 @ 18 mpg = $0.19/mile...again I doubt it will get that..friend of mine has an '06 Dmax that gets 13.5 mpg
$4k initial cost diff $1k for the 8.1 $5k diesel =$4k
100,000 miles of driving before you break even. I know diesels have a higher resale. but gas trucks really don't drop that much before a 100,000k so you get about the same percentage drop in resale...especially if it is an HD.
what is the D-max now? a $7k option?
other downsides: a diesel is a lot more expensive to repair. oil changes are expensive, fuel filters and fuel quality has to be closely monitored
I like them, wish I could afford a new one and wish Diesel didn't cost so much. I bet the new burbs are 60k+ w/ the diesel maybe even pushing $70k. I'll keep the quadrasteer a couple of more years and do donuts around them until one comes up used.
did you steal chadnutz math book

toyota has the small motor you speak of but doesnt sell it in the us, jeep had it for a couple years (i think) but doesnt loook like its in the line-up anymore.