Page 22 of 79 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigpen

I was thinking about a spring mounted behind the lamp, so that when the lamp is pushed on, the spring is compressed (which a CB antenna spring wouldn't work for), not having the spring mounted on the side? so the spring bends, not compresses.

Well as far as the tail lights go I tried the spring idea and it turns out springs dont like being welded. So The tail light mounts are gonna be solid and have a little cage around the lights to protect them. One side is done and looks like **** and I might do the other side tonight if I have enough time. I got the steering almost done. I really f'ing hate reaming, words can hardly describe my hatred of it. I need to ream the steering arm out a little more but otherwise everything's ready to go. The new pitman arm I snagged off a ford van is the wrong vintage so the indexing splines are 45 degrees off, so I will resume the hunt next week. Here's some before and after pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I like the diff cover
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

why don't you take a triangle file and grind an extra spline into the indexing spline?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

One side is done and looks like ****
    at least it fits the overall theme

Well I got everything buttoned up for the trip today. Pigpen's better than he's ever been; the tranny works and shifts normaly (it will probably still slip when the tires get bound up though), the steering is 100% straight and tight, the passenger side door has been removed, and one tail light has been installed (one is better than none right?).

Also, aparently pigpen can do stoppies.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Pigpen wont run after the trip and I need a snorkel before i do any more muddin.

damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Yah but I'm too po right now.

Well since I've been out of town I havent touched pigpen since the Alto trip (besides pushing it off the trailer) but I've been thinking about what might be wrong with the motor. I was just tear assing through the mud pits and I stopped for a sec when I was almost out and the motor just died. Since I dont have any inner fenders and run with the lid on my air cleaner flipped, the air filter got drenched with muddy water so at first I figured it was clogged up and choked out the motor. I had one of the "severe duty" filters on it that came with an extra foam pre-cleaner around the paper filter and the foam part was the only one that got soaked, the paper was still dry. I took the air cleaner off and there was a little bit of muddy water in the intake, I think it just leaked in through the screw holes in the aircleaner lid. It didnt look like enough to affect the motor at all but now I'm not so sure.

After we dragged it back to camp, I went and bought a new air filter and new fuel filter, but that didnt seem to help. When it first died in the pits, it wouldnt hardly crank at all, I dont know what to attribute that to. After waiting for awhile it was able to crank again, but it wouldnt start. So after changine the filters out and purging the air from the new filter, I pull a few of the glowplugs and cranked on it some more. It was shooting a puff of fuel out while cranking so it appears that it is still getting fuel, but as Oliver said if a 6.2 wont run its either fuel or fuel. I'm hoping for some reason I just need to crank it some more and maybe bleed the injector lines, but I'll get after it when I get back to CS.

In summary, I think my injection pump might have crapped out on me, but thats usually not a catastrophic event right?

What kind of power does a 6.2 make? As much as a tired SB350, or close? Can you turbo them? If so how much would that run and what kind of power would you be talking about then? i.e. How do they compare to like a 5.9 cummins?
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

think more along the lines of "tired 22re" (but with more torque)
    the comparison to a cummins ends at "they both use diesel fuel"

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    the comparison to a cummins ends at "they both use diesel fuel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

AgDieseler
    Any chance you gulped too much water down the intake? I've done that and it sucked. Are you getting fuel past the lift pump? IPs don't just up and die usually. Their death is generally preceded by a long line of hard starts.

You can turbo a 6.2L, and they will make good power, but it has to be on a solid crack-free foundation. Maximum reliable power with an IC is about 500-550 lb-ft.

Ic?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller