Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigpen

Hybrid View

I wasnt thinking about using the square tube for the front, just the boatsiding. The front is going to be done in either 1 1/2 or 2" tube.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Well I've been thinking about my radiator situation for when I taper the front. The stock 6.2 radiator is HUGE. It extends past the opening in the core support about 6" on the driver's side. This poses a problem, because of the way the radiator is mounted. Since its offset, I wouldnt be able to narrow both sides all the way into the body mount, and that would look stupid. Centering it would be a ***** because the little ears that hold the rubber bushings in place are offset, I could probably fab up some new ones without too much trouble though.

On other option that I considered was getting a custom 5 or 6 core radiator made that is narrower, so it will fit between th ebody mounts. Kopecki seems to think I should make it narrow enought to drop down between the frame rails so I can lower my hood and increase my visibility, but I think narrowing it that much will make it too small to adequetly cool the 6.2. I do however, want to lower the hood if at all possible, because I cant see **** over it on climbs and am afraid I am going to run over my spotter eventually, and good spotters are hard to replace.

I was brainstorming over potential ideas, then I remembered that on C/K series chevy trucks (88-99, the body style like my crewcab), their radiators are 2" shorter than the older boxy models like pigpen. Since when I narrow the front the fenders are going to have to be kludged to the core support anyway, I was thinking of taking a core support and radiator from a C/K truck and putting in on the front of pigpen, then cutting a couple of inches off the large lip on the front of my hood to lower it a total of 4" or so. I can probably make the fenders angle downward to match it and make it look decent. The later model core support will require some ethnic thinking and a little fabrication but shouldnt be too hard. I might even grab a later model grill to stick on there.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

rear mounted radiator? Not like you have much back there anyway, and then you could put your winch where the radiator was and get a better approach angle.

I've thought about that, but it would be alot more work. It is still a consideration though. The way the winch is mounted now, it does not hurt my approach angle at all. It is 95% inside the stock frame and sits about 3/4" in front of the radiator.

summit aluminum

Is it really that hard to cool a 130 hp motor?

I dont know but I'm sure chevy put the biggest radiator they made in front of it for a reason.

because they expected you to be towing with it, perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

the rule of thumb is one cube per cube of displacement so what im trying to say is that 6.2 is around 370-380 (im too lazy to do the math)cubic inches so you need a radiatior with the same dimentions. thats what they use in heavy truck so its should be the same. Its not the same with gas b/c diesel puts out more heat than gas.

6.2 is 379. So according to your rule of thumb the radiator GM uses in front of the 6.2 is approximately 32x18x2 which equals 1152 cubic inches. Something about that doesnt sound right to me.

Should be 1 square inch of radiator surface area for every one cubic inch of engine.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    Should be 1 square inch of radiator surface area for every one cubic inch of engine.

then it still works out the same for his rad. unless you only count the front side

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    then it still works out the same for his rad. unless you only count the front side

Yeah, its not the total surface area, but rather the area that gets exposed to the airflow. The numbers are for the front only..
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    Yeah, its not the total surface area, but rather the area that gets exposed to the airflow. The numbers are for the front only..
    Exactly, i had lunch on the mind at the time.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    rear radiator, thus allowing a smaller one because extra length of hose that it would add would help cool it and you are adding extra coolant along with it
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901