Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What tires to get?

What tires to get?

I need some quick suggestions. I probably am going to have to order these today or tomorrow to get them here in time for TPP.

House of Tires in Bryan has offered me a good trade deal on my old (barely used)( tires and wheels. I am definitely selling my AT's and the Steel rims they are on now. I also have a brand new 36" TSL SX on an aluminum rim. I could either keep it and get 4 matching wheels & tires, or I could get all new wheels& tires. If I get new, I will probably go up to 37 or 38". So my question is, should I stick with the 36" TSL/SX or should I get something else? I no longer have to use 8runner as a daily driver, and I will likely be trailering it to most events, so wear and road performance is not a big deal anymore. On the flipside, I can't spend much more than $500-$700 with the trade ($1300-$1500 total), so that rules out anything too exotic.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

Registered
    If you are not going to drive it on the street I would look into some red or blue(street legal and not as soft)label 37" BFG Krawlers. I have 35" blue label on my jeep and I like them better than any other tire I have ran. The 39" red label on Greg's jeep are really soft I will probably only get one comp season out of them.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Originally posted by spool
    If you are not going to drive it on the street I would look into some red or blue(street legal and not as soft)label 37" BFG Krawlers. I have 35" blue label on my jeep and I like them better than any other tire I have ran. The 39" red label on Greg's jeep are really soft I will probably only get one comp season out of them.
    You can watch the rubber burn off those tires - the truck gets lower to the ground every time he gets off a course...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Ok, so I definiyule need it to be at least street legal. And I do want to be able to drive it around town and maybe even on some shor t trips. I have heard good things about the crawler's before. So the Blue Label ones are the street legal ones?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

Shaggy
    yes

Me think krawlers are a little out of his price range. Maybe a set of SSRs, I liked mine. They gripped good even without tread, were quieter than my BFG MTs, and rode great unbalanced. I think the 37x12.5x15 are under $200 each. And the 36" iroks are supposed to be big for their size and under $170.

My RTIIs are supposed to be hard rubber and they suck and they still wear out on wheelin trips. I have decided it's not the tires' fault though, its those dam rocks.

fbronco86
    Originally posted by eight
    Me think krawlers are a little out of his price range. Maybe a set of SSRs, I liked mine. They gripped good even without tread, were quieter than my BFG MTs, and rode great unbalanced. I think the 37x12.5x15 are under $200 each. And the 36" iroks are supposed to be big for their size and under $170.

My RTIIs are supposed to be hard rubber and they suck and they still wear out on wheelin trips. I have decided it's not the tires' fault though, its those dam rocks.
    I think its a driver issue

Moose
    ... and 4wheelparts is having a 10% off everything this weekend sale... including tires...

4 - 37x13R15 Boggers - $907.96 + $90 tire warranty + $30 crate fee = $1030
    w/10% off = $937.12
    Last edited by Moose; 06-10-2004 at 09:03 AM.

Shaggy
    i just ordered 4 39.5x13.50x17 Super Swamper IROK Radials

i only got $31 more off than the guy was gonna give me last week but that is reason enough to go ahead and order them

where and how much $$$?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I wasn't planning on getting radial anything - I didn't see the point. If I was going to go SSR's shouldn't I just stil with TSL/SX's since I already have 1 brand new one?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

Shaggy
    Originally posted by uglyota
    where and how much $$$?
    4wp $1322.98

radials last longer... much longer

Well Crap, I was going to look at getting Krawlers with the sale going on at 4wpw and say that the 37's only come in 17" rims. That blows these for now, as I can't justify ~$300 per tire & get rims. I would like to get a 37-38" tire, so that rules out IROK's too, they only come in 36 and 39.5, the larger of which I think is too big for 8runner (how could I tell?).

The other (and cheapest) option, would be for me to just get 4 TSL/SX's to match my never used spare - it is a 36x12.50R15. I can get those for under $200 each.

Maybe I should just go this cheaper route & then when I wear them out I just get 17" rims (beadlocks, mmmmm). All I know is I don't want to wheel on my AT's anymore, they did alright in Katemcy, but I couldn't air them down as much and they have NO sidewall grip, which forced me to skip at least one obstacle that would have been easily passable with better tires.

Anyway, I am just looking for some advice & would appriciate any I can get!
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    buy the 37" Krawlers and worry about the rims on the next paycheck...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    buy the 37" Krawlers and worry about the rims on the next paycheck...
    have ya'll seen the thread on pirate where the people buy the 17" h2 rims off ebay for under $200 for all 4? The guy even posted up a dxf file of the beadlocks so you can get a waterjet to cut out the aluminum beadlock part and rings.

I'm contemplating getting the rims and then down the line get the bead locks when I want.
    1988 Blazer...RIP