Thread: 48 CJ2A Repairs

Hybrid View

Just want to give an update.

I have everything back together now. Just need to adjust the shoes within the drums. I replaced the following
    Brake shoes
    Wheel cylinders
    Most of the hard and soft lines
    Master cylinder
    All adjuster pins
    All Springs
    Rear drums and hubs.
    I also put in new shocks. They were well worn. Also I hated that they were blue.

Left Rear

Left Front

Right Front

Right Rear

I repacked all the front bearings. All surfaces looked good. The rear are apparently a pain to get out and I needed to get it rolling again since I am moving in march. So I left the rear bearings in.

Left Rear

Left Front

Right Front

This picture looks dark, But its about as clean as the other side.
    Right Rear

I had to replace the rear drums and hubs because the both hubs were bent and pushing out the studs requires some special process.
    More info about that can be found on page 11 http://www.caloundracity.asn.au/Jeep...rakes101_1.pdf. The studs hold the hub and drum together.

I also had to cut down my 19mm offset wrench to get between the lower brakeshoe adjuster and the lower king pin bolts.

Overall I am pretty happy with the work. Next project will be replacement springs. The ones that are on it now are flat and stiff as a rock. I don't expect it to ride nice but anything would be better. I have an extra Master Cylinder and some lugs reverse threaded lugs with spines that were to short. If anyone wants them ill be willing to part with them pretty cheaply.
    Last edited by aggie4life; 02-14-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    2014-2016 Webmaster
    1948 Willys CJ2A
    2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4
    2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SOLD
    2008 Honda Rancher 4x2
    "Keep your Friends Close, but your enemies closer" Sun Tzu, The Art of War