Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: kickass scout motor

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    im pretty sure the d-side spring will hit the tre on the pitman arm when that side is stuffed.
    that is why i think my "extra long fang towers" are important on a scout. If you could get some bumpstops to keep that from happening it would work out as well.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

yes, im beginning to see the benefit to the "rock fangs". i think however, that it will work out ok. if i stop the bump where im going to need it. i think it will limit the spring compression to flat on both sides. it'll give up about 3" of bump on either side but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

John Not Jon

btw jimmy, would you be so kind as to edit the first post on "my build-up thread" and spell my name right?

fixed it...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

thanks

edit: i ust checked it b/c i dont trust you. proved to be a valid distrust...
    only without the and add a
    Last edited by agjohn02; 12-26-2004 at 03:23 PM.

progress as of late has been slow due to lower than desired temperatures in my unheated driveway, snow, and Christmas. however some has been made. it now rolls, steers, and stops on its own. wiring, bumpstops, and exhaust are the only things left on the plate. got the arms bent and it clears nicely now.

pics 4 u
    Attached Images Attached Images      

BigRedFord04
    fancy

when's it goin' wheelin'?

when its done...

grey, eh?
    usually people put the bright colors on the bottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    grey, eh?
    usually people put the bright colors on the bottom

this way it'll look normal upside down. i thought about this color but its been done to death.

fuel pump is wired (MUCH quieter than the inline), motor is cranking but i havent wired the coil in yet for ignition, wiring for fan, headlights, and horn is in progress, wiring harness is installed minus coil.

MOVED: my reply from charlie thread

yeah, ive read all the pirate discussions on taurus fans. all i remember is that dodge intrepid fans suck and only DAN's use them. im trying to fit in with the cool kids. i like having two speeds. especially since i had to ditch my tranny cooler fan due to not enough room with the a/c condenser in there also. this way i can wire it so the high speed is activated by a.) a switch on the dash, b.)the a/c pressure switch when the compressor comes on and, c.) the temp sensor in the tranny cooler when the slushbox gets hot.

roburt, 30 ampers wont do it, the relays in the ferd box are 60 amp. i guess i could run two 30's in parallel though.... john not jon

BigRedFord04
    i had a problem with my aftermarket (Hayden) fans burning up relays and 30 amp fuses in inline fuse holders off the batteries. one fuse holder actually caught on fire when the fuse blew, but luckily i was under the hood checking the timing when it happened. after that i switched to an 80 amp continuous duty solenoid to run the fans...no problems since then. i only run single speed tho. that particular solenoid is Borg Warner p/n S55 and can be acquired for ~$25 at Ho'Reillys, lifetime warranty. the power supply for the switch comes off the power window circuit in my fuse block that is wired from the factory, but not used since i have manual windows. also, that second small post on the solenoid is grounded.
    here's how i did it:
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 01-07-2005 at 05:39 AM.

so, austin, when you turn on the key, the fans come on?

i got mine wired up with the exception of the actual fan. it all works so sayeth the voltmeter. the gm relay is in there b/c i didnt feel like unhooking it. thats what i used for a fan relay with the old fan. its down on my inner fender and i was too lazy to disconect it. someday if i need a 30 amp relay for something else ill bypass it. anywho heres the final wiring diagram on my fans. nice huh? it looks more complicated than it really is. the only problem spots are having two, actually three relays to go out. the gm one isnt carrying any significant load and the other two actually act as back-ups for one another. if one goes out i just run it at the other speed. the low speed comes on with ignition, controlled by the pcm and i have manual override of the high speed. i didnt include a cut-off switch since i dont plan on doing much high water crossing. if i need to cut it off, it'll take me 30 seconds to pull the relay.

speaking of relays going out. i fixed the dealer only item $35 f*rd low speed relay by replacing a $0.40 diode from radio shack.

edit: i dont think i ever metioned why im going to all this trouble just for a taurus fan. the 16" after market fan i ran before worked fine until i let it sit a while running. it would get hotter than liked it too and i figured it was a matter of time before it got too hot sitting or crawling. taurus fans are cheap from the junkyard, fit the scout sized rad pretty well, and move a lot of air. the only problem is a lot of people talk about frying relays so i figured id just run the oem control scheme and not have to worry about trying this and trying that.

edit#2: i think i figured out what the complex low speed relay is for. when you cycle from low speed to high speed the low speed relay has a second or two delay before it cuts off. im assuming this is to prevent voltage spikes to the fan or something of that nature.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 01-08-2005 at 06:08 AM.

BigRedFord04
    yes....mine comes on when i turn on the ignition, but the switch in the circuit allows me to turn the fans off by turning off the solenoid. i like this arrangement a lot more than how i originally wired it where i had to remember to turn the fans on when i started it up....ask chadnutz how much it sucks to forget to turn the fans on.

it must be storming outside, cuz all i hear is CHEVY THUNDER!!!

HOOAH jiggas. its alive, Its Alive ITS ALIVE!!!!

MUAHAHA MUH MUH MUH MUHAHAHAHAHA

ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!